Horizon League vs Summit League Showdown

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Horizon League vs Summit League Showdown

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:12 pm

Horizon League

HorizonLeague and @thesummitleague
announced that their league members will begin a men’s basketball three-year “Showdown” series starting in 2020.
http://horizonleague.org/news/2019/3/6/mens-basketball-horizon-league-summit-league-showdown-to-start-in-2020.aspx

INDIANAPOLIS – Horizon League Commissioner Jon LeCrone and Summit League Commissioner Tom Douple jointly announced Thursday that their league members will begin a men’s basketball “Showdown” series in 2020 that will span three seasons.
League officials will work together to ensure the best possible hardwood matchups for the Horizon League-Summit League Showdown based on three criteria: projected team rankings, a 3-year RPI/NET average, and the latest Ken Pom Adjusted Efficiency Rating.
Each of those factors will be weighted equally, and starting in June of 2020, they will be used to determine the first set of games for the series that will be played on pre-selected dates. A similar process and timeline will be followed in 2021 and 2022.
“Guided by our Board and the Horizon League Council, we have been implementing strategies to improve our national competitiveness in men’s basketball,” said LeCrone. “The Horizon League-Summit League Showdown adds two intriguing, quality games, which we believe helps address the challenges we face in getting home-and-home non-conference contests, provides exciting matchups and fits into our overall vision for excellence.”
Each member of the Horizon League and The Summit League will have a home and an away game against two different programs from the other league in each of those three seasons. The Summit League will find a school outside of its membership to be the 10th opponent for the Horizon League.
“We are excited to partner with the Horizon League on this scheduling alliance,” said Douple. “We’ve listened to our coaches and their desires to build competitive and equitable schedules for the betterment of our league and their programs. This agreement ensures them of at least two games a season that fit that criteria.”
Games will take place in 2020 on November 17th and 21st. In 2021, the dates for the series are November 16th and 20th and in 2022, the dates are November 15th and 19th.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Re: Horizon League vs Summit League Showdown

Postby uofdfan1983 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:42 pm

If this wasn't so sad, I would cry. I don't care anymore. We all know we've become the Summit League already; this just proves it. We so need to get our crap together, start dominating this mediocre bunch and become the next Butler or Valpo and split this pathetic excuse for a Conference...
Last edited by uofdfan1983 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Of course!!!! :P

Will all games be played at the Indiana Farmers' Coliseum?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:28 pm

OMG this is sad beyond belief. Summit ranked #22 dominated by the Dakota schools will not draw flies. I would have opted for Leagues ranked higher than the Horizon like the Sun Belt #16 or Southern #17. Even the Valley (if they would do it). LaCrone got snookered again as this is a win for the Summit not HL. This in effect takes two P5 schools off the "buy in"schedule. Thats $100,000 lost each season GROAN!!
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:36 pm

Just awful. Interferes with coach’s scheduling strategy which I think is brilliant. Like SHjoe said, this will cost us money. Instead of getting paid to go play a team like Oregon and maybe get a signature win we have to go to BFing Western Illinois and pay our way. Awful.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Just threw up in my mouth a little while reading that. LeCrone is just awful. There is no positive from signing this deal.
udballer
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:09 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:If this wasn't so sad, I would cry. I don't care anymore. We all know we've become the Summit League already; this just proves it. We so need to get our crap together, start dominating this mediocre bunch and become the next Butler or Valpo and split this pathetic excuse for a Conference...

Maybe seeing as the Summit has 9 teams and the Horizon has ten, we can opt out. Then it wouldn't be necessary for the Summit to find a team outside of their league to help fill their side. Another move to be mediocre. Does LaCrone do this without consent of the League AD's. Maybe this is and opportunity to broom Lacrone. I still think we need to get out of this league ASAP. I'm hoping this is just an early April Fools joke on TVR's part.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:02 am

How LeCrone has lasted this long is beyond logic, the fact that we have put up with it this long is unfortunate. I am with Tom. Let's get the hell outta here. Dare I say, I think I would rather struggle as an independent than be in this crap conference.
titanmike
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:22 am

"upbasketballfan wrote:"

Maybe seeing as the Summit has 9 teams and the Horizon has ten, we can opt out. Then it wouldn't be necessary for the Summit to find a team outside of their league to help fill their side. Another move to be mediocre. Does LaCrone do this without consent of the League AD's. Maybe this is and opportunity to broom Lacrone. I still think we need to get out of this league ASAP. I'm hoping this is just an early April Fools joke on TVR's part.

According to the press release:

The Summit League will find a school outside of its membership to be the 10th opponent for the Horizon League.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:32 am

Big time contract. ESPN 8 the ocho will pick up the broadcast.
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:52 am

titanmike wrote:How LeCrone has lasted this long is beyond logic, the fact that we have put up with it this long is unfortunate. I am with Tom. Let's get the hell outta here. Dare I say, I think I would rather struggle as an independent than be in this crap conference.

+1
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:04 am

nice to see all the happy smiling faces about this. i wish it hadn’ta been so predictable. hey. wait. i know! lets wait until we dominate this league and then push for a change in leagues! yup! there’s a good strategy!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:12 am

titanmac wrote:nice to see all the happy smiling faces about this. i wish it hadn’ta been so predictable. hey. wait. i know! lets wait until we dominate this league and then push for a change in leagues! yup! there’s a good strategy!

I don't care how we do it but let's get the hell out of this house as fast as we can because its on fire
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:22 am

I can't wait for the HL v. GLIAC Hoopathon, and HL v. MIAA Mayhem. :cry: :cry: :cry:
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:42 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:
titanmac wrote:nice to see all the happy smiling faces about this. i wish it hadn’ta been so predictable. hey. wait. i know! lets wait until we dominate this league and then push for a change in leagues! yup! there’s a good strategy!

I don't care how we do it but let's get the hell out of this house as fast as we can because its on fire

I am sure we still have some left over Gonzaga comparisons. Every WCC member is a faith based institution and I have been trying to figure out for quite some time how Wright State, IUPUI, Cleveland State and Youngstown State can be compared to the likes of USD, The Dons, BYU, Santa Clara and ST. Mary's. The WCC is a pretty good Conference and they often get multiple bids.

I think playing the GLIAC schools would draw better crowds. I think this is a cop out for and an attempt by Lacrone to convince the AD's that he is doing something. Not sure what Lacrone's salary is but anything over minimum wage is overpayment.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:45 am

The flaw in that strategy is that we've been in the Horizon for nearly 40 years and have never dominated it.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:45 pm

of course you know that commish, since this strategy was exactly your adopted platform some years ago! sarcasm often overscores wit does it not?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:11 pm

titanmac wrote:of course you know that commish, since this strategy was exactly your adopted platform some years ago! sarcasm often overscores wit does it not?

I don't think that's ever been quite my strategy. My strategy has always been that you have to have something to offer a better conference. I think you mistake my observations of reality--we can't just demand a better conference take us--for strategy.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:30 pm

Here's my latest strategy: If they won't come to us, we'll go to them. We move the campus here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit,_Oregon.
Then we apply to join the WCC.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:46 pm

Commissioner wrote:Here's my latest strategy: If they won't come to us, we'll go to them. We move the campus here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit,_Oregon.
Then we apply to join the WCC.

Our travel distance when we play at Oakland would be a lot less :lol:
HSScout1
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball